DDSN Interactive are looking for a highly creative individual with a great visual eye to drive and deliver rich custom designs for websites, mobile apps, and digital resources. Work closely with our experienced Australian team to create fantastic presentations for DDSN and our customers.
Apply for the Role
We're a little bit different to the other digital agencies. Of course we're creative, innovative, and technically excellent. But that's kinda the norm in our industry, just what you've gotta be to get by... and after 23 years in business you'd want to expect that anyway.
We're different because we try to dig a little deeper than the other digital crews dig, to deliver a little more than the basic requirements of each job - whether it's a big job or a small one. That's what's resulted in the growth of our own enterprise CMS platform, design and construction of our own private hosting cloud with unique platform services that are optimised especially for Australian businesses, the fact that our clients' sites actually get tested for good user experience and proper accessibility standards, and the awards we've won over the years.
We selectively work with an exciting and eclectic range of clients - a mix of large brands, government and non profit agencies, and small to medium enterprises. We're strongly process driven but not so strictly as to exclude creativity. Our small but diverse team of outstanding individuals collaborates in a creative, friendly, highly inclusive and flexible work environment.
We deliver beautiful, high tech, cleverly designed digital solutions in interesting ways. We seek deep contributions to our customers operations and business through functional and deeply integrated solutions that provide the most value.
User centred design is at the heart of everything we do, with a plan to achieve WCAG 2.1 “AA” accessibility as a minimum in all our designs and software interfaces.
Why Do We Need You?
Rob's our CEO and he comes from a visual design background, but he does other things in the business and he hasn't got the time we need to make our presentations shine the way we want them to. Before managing partner Dani joined us, she created the platform that defined the next 20 years of Australian future science strategy at CSIRO - so she's got big ideas too. And when you meet the others, they'll share their plans and insights as well.
We need you to bring visual magic and creativity to those ideas. We need you to lead the charge to make everything we produce look great, and engage users dynamically.
We want someone with an artistic flare to wake our critters up from their long slumber, and do stuff like that for our clients' brands too. That's only part of it though. We want you to work on making software UIs schmick, social media presences pop, and content come to life. Now and then we get to invent new brand ideas; you'll make them shine too.
We are looking for someone to help us create and inspire the best websites, mobile apps and digital resources in the country.
- A wide range of projects, small and large
- Work with a small, dynamic team of outstanding, experienced, clever, passionate, creative individuals
- Both client driven and internal projects
As DDSN’s Senior Visual & UI Designer you will work alongside an experienced team of business analysts, producers, user experience specialists and developers. You will have strong art direction skills and be responsible for driving and delivering designs and creative layouts for visuals and interfaces for DDSN and our clients who span not for profit, government and small and medium enterprise.
You will lead the generation of concepts and designs for websites, mobile apps, intranets, extranets and portals, custom software, eCommerce, eDMs, social media and digital advertising. As we work with our clients to understand their users and personas and develop their digital strategies, you will be at the forefront of morphing concepts and briefs from the business analysts and development teams into full visual presentations, making desired outcomes a reality through the creation of dynamically visual content.
Our clients are varied as is the project work that we do - no two days are the same!
The main tasks of the role include:
- Delivering highly creative, accessible, usable, functional and affordable visual concepts
- Ensuring your creative ideas are up to date with all the latest technologies and best practices for the platforms employed
- Designing interfaces, graphics and layouts for all digital media, including landing and product pages, banners, illustrations, infographics, eDM, social media, mobile app screens, and more for DDSN and our clients
- Creating and presenting creative and graphic ideas to client senior stakeholders
- Your core focus is visual design but understanding, experience and willingness to contribute to prototyping and user interface design will be strongly regarded
- Assisting the sales and marketing manager with creating social posts for us and our clients
- Creating DDSN sales support material from website, eDM, infographics, social ads and digital brochures
- Manage and maintain key digital assets
- Selecting and retouching photography for designs
- Capable of understanding target market demographics, analytics and business intelligence
- Contributing to the generation of finished digital content for DDSN and our clients
Whether your interest is more in design and website front ends, or tends toward user interfaces or other digital media we'd like to talk. There's an opportunity to grow your experience and portfolio in many directions as part of this role.
This role would suit senior visual designers or aspiring senior designers with the desire to create outstanding client focused digital media, systems and interfaces.
You will think coming to work is fun. You love creating things. You want to make sure you get things right, and you'll work hard until you do.
You're a great listener, with the ability to translate a clients' raw ideas directly into a well considered visual result, but you'll enjoy pitching a lateral or abstract idea at the right moment just as much. You think the best reward for your effort, is when your design hits the mark, delights the customer, and advances the project's business goals. You'll be happy your work succeeded, and even happier that it was part of a team effort.
To succeed in this role you will have demonstrated or are able to prove a capacity to achieve:
- Exceptional creativity and innovation
- Passion, you have a very good attention to detail and take great pride in your work
- Paradoxical pride and humility. It's the project's success that matters, not your idea. (But your idea will assure the project's success!)
- A minimum of 5 years' professional experience as a visual designer working with digital media
- An understanding of target market demographics, analytics and intelligence
- Ability as a conceptual thinker who can articulate and execute their vision from concept to visual production
- You are a positive team player with the ability to work collaboratively and proactively and manage multiple stakeholders, both internal and external
- You have a strong grasp and keen eye for perfect typography, grids and colour theory
- A strong understanding of the latest trends in visual digital design and their role within a commercial environment
- A strong understanding of WCAG accessibility standards and usability principles, or a desire to learn and apply the standards zealously so your designs will talk to every audience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a high level of English writing & speaking
- Excellent proof-reading & attention to detail
- The ability to rapidly create and iterate on unique designs and visual concepts, including the production of artefacts such as illustrations, iconography and infographics
- Solid experience and high proficiency with Adobe creative suite including InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Understanding, experience and expertise in our clients main digital channels – including Websites, Mobile Apps, Email, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Google & Microsoft Ads.
- Excellent planning, organization and time management skills
- Working understanding of the rest of the DDSN business - code, hosting, digital marketing, software, consultancy, digital processes and project management
As addition to the required skills, any of the following skills will be well regarded:
- Traditional art and illustration techniques, particularly drawing, concept art, narrative illustration, graphic design, logo design
- Experience in animation and motion graphics
- Experience in 3D
- Strong user interface design skills which include mind-mapping, wireframing, rapid prototyping, facilitation skills, and requirements gathering
- Experience working in a Business to Business environment
- Experience with Adobe Premiere Pro for simple animation and Adobe XD or Axure for prototyping would be an advantage
- Proven experience with mark-up language such as HTML and CSS for basic front-end and EDM modifications and creations; or even better, the ability to contribute directly to the construction of your visual designs
$80,000 - $110,000 plus superannuation, depending on skills and experience.
While we’re looking for a full-time employee to join our team, we’re a flexible bunch. So, if you’re as good as we hope you are, we’re happy to talk about a part-time or flexible working arrangement.
Sorry, but we’re unable to consider applications from outside of Australia. You MUST have full working rights in Australia, the ability to travel occasionally for pitches and workshops at our clients offices and at least quarterly for meetings at our office in South Melbourne, Victoria.
Please include a cover letter and portfolio when you respond via our jobs portal, https://ddsn.com/about/careers.
Working from Where You Are
We let our office go in May, and don’t have plans to return to an office in the next while. So this role will be remote in the medium term with the option to participate in the office environment if that change occurs later in 2021 or 2022. Some DDSN staff worked remotely before COVID in Sydney and Frankston, so if you are also interested in remote working for the long term, that’s okay too.
DDSN have established a base at Creative Cubes coworking space in South Melbourne, where we will host clients and meet as a company fortnightly once we are all out of lock down.
At a minimum if you want to join the DDSN team we would ask that you travel for face to face at least once a quarter to meet with the team in Melbourne.
Apply here through our jobs portal. Have a cover letter, portfolio and your CV ready. Tell us about your experience we want to learn about you. This is a senior role with senior responsibility in our company.
DDSN does not consider applications submitted by recruitment agencies or any unsolicited approaches by recruitment agencies.