A public information and services portal for a fast growing rural council.
Situated along one of the nation's most significant transport corridors that links the Australian eastern seaboard and its capital cities, Mitchell Shire is a fast growing council that encounters the challenges of both rural and city communities.
The challenge was to create a rich and accessible website that serves a community with diverse information and service demands ranging from up-to-the-minute bushfire information to online kindergarten applications and local area environmental management.
Noteworthy features of the site are:
- W3C "AA" Level accessibility compliance, even within a richly presented visual design.
- Distributed authorship of web pages. Each council department is responsible for administering its own section of the website, with publishing quality management being undertaken by the communications team.
- Integration with Event Victoria's statewide events calendar.
- Complex forms delivered by the cm3 Acora CMS Forms Manager module enable online transactions for the community, ranging from email subscriptions to kindergarten applications.
- The Business & Community Services directory promotes commerce and community groups in the Shire.
- The Walking Trails project provides an online experience of the area and gets people out there in the world, walking.